3 large tomatoes peeled* and finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
½ cucumber, peeled & finely chopped
1 green capsicum, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tbsp Spice Fusion Spicy Ethiopian Berberè
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsps vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chopped ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Serve as a salad, dip or spread.
* To peel tomatoes, cut out the stems with a paring knife, then cut a shallow X into the bottom ends. Plunge tomatoes into boiling water for a few seconds, then plunge into a bowl of iced water. Remove cooled tomatoes and skin should be easy to peel.
700 g-1 kg beef pieces
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 large onions chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
2-3 rounded tsp Spice Fusion Spicy Ethiopian Berbere
1 x 440 g can chopped tomatoes
a splash of Cab Sav or any other good red wine (optional)*
salt and black pepper to taste
- Fry onions until golden brown, then add garlic and fry for a couple of minutes longer.
- Add the Berbere and cook for a minute or two to release the highly fragrant aroma of this blend.
- Add the meat, allow to brown, stirring constantly to coat the pieces well and increase the absorption of flavours.
- Pour in the tomatoes and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or longer if you can.
- If the sauce becomes dry, add a little water or red wine.
- Serve with warm toasted flat bread, rice or couscous.
Berbere Harira Soup
250 g lamb or chicken diced (optional)
1 large onion chopped
½ cup celery chopped including leaves
½ cup parsley chopped
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
½ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp Spice Fusion Spicy Ethiopian Berbere
½ tsp Spice Fusion Ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp butter or margarine
6 cups hot water or chicken stock
½ cup lentils or canned chickpeas
2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
½ cup angel hair pasta, broken into 4cm pieces
salt & pepper to taste
½ cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- In large saucepan, combine first nine ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add water or stock, tomatoes and lentils or chickpeas.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Bring to a boil, stir in pasta and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with lemon wedges and coriander.
500 g chicken thigh or breast fillets, cut into large chunks
2 tbsp Spice Fusion Spicy Ethiopian Berbere
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 carrots, cut into 2 cm pieces
200 g green beans, cut in half lengthways
1 tbsp tomato paste
chicken stock or water
chopped mint for garnishing
- Roll the pieces of chicken in Berbere.
- Heat oil in saucepan, fry onions until translucent; add garlic.
- Add coated chicken, brown, then add tomato paste, carrots, beans and enough stock or water to cover.
- Transfer to an oven-proof dish; cover and cook at 150°C for ½ hour or until the chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Serve with mashed sweet potato, rice or couscous and garnish with chopped mint.